So it’s been decided, you’re moving to Florida! Whether you fell in love with Florida while visiting on vacation or have a new exciting job relocating you to the Sunshine State, it’s time to get planning.
Moving to a new state can be a little overwhelming unless you take the time to properly prepare. There are so many things going through your mind, such as:
- What is living in Florida like?
- Which city do I want to live in?
- Do I have everything I need?
So, we put together a 7-step guide to moving to Florida to help you skip the headaches. Let’s begin!
Everybody loves Florida! From the beautiful beaches to the exciting amusement parks people come from all over the world to visit Florida.
But why should you be excited about moving to Florida?
Florida is known as the Sunshine State for a reason. It is the home of flip-flops and year-round beach days.
Thankfully, coastal breezes and summer showers provide a pleasant relief from the extended days of sunshine in Florida during the summer months.
But where Florida really shines is in the winter! Mild winters have made it a haven for full-time and part-time residents to escape from cold and snowy winters in other areas. The warm sun shines year-round on the sandy beaches, keeping the water always swimmable.
There are several financial benefits, especially for retirees:
- No individual state income taxes
- Low cost of living
- No state death or estate taxes
- Asset protection benefits, including the Florida Homestead Law
- Property tax benefits for primary residence
- Florida is home to many top wealth strategists, tax advisors, and estate planning professionals
With the low cost of living, no state income taxes, and amazing job opportunities, Florida makes it easy to save money and live comfortably.
Florida is home to many beautiful beaches, parks, and must-see sites including:
- Over 600 miles of beaches along the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico
- 1,800 miles of coastline
- Over 11,000 miles of rivers, streams & waterways
- 11 National Parks
- 161 State Parks
- Lush landscape that offers a variety of activities for nature lovers
- Everglades National Park encompasses over 1.5 million acres of protected land
With great weather and breathtaking sites Florida has everything it takes for creating a beautiful life.
Florida has something to do for everyone:
- More than 1,250 golf courses
- Active outdoor lifestyle due to year-round sunshine
- Boating, fishing and water sports galore
- Home of Disney World and other amazing theme parks
- 12 international airports
- 14 deepwater ports
- Home of the space industry representing $4.1 billion of the state’s economy
- World-class shopping and dining
- Professional sports teams including football, basketball, baseball, hockey, and soccer
- Over 400 museums
- An abundance of live theater, opera companies, orchestras and art galleries
- More than 50 Botanical Gardens
There is never-ending fun in Florida for all ages and every city has something special to offer its residents!
There are a lot of factors that go into choosing the perfect city for you and your family. Here are some of our favorite cities!
Naples is one of the wealthiest cities in Florida yet there are still affordable places to live. Naples is a favorite for its plethora of dining options, well-kept golf courses, and beautiful white-sand beaches on the Gulf of Mexico.
Many families are moving to Westlake for its great schools and family-friendly neighborhoods. Located in the heart of Palm Beach County, Westlake is a short drive to the scenic beaches along the Atlantic Ocean.
Daytona Beach is famous for the Daytona 500 NASCAR race and for beautiful sandy beaches on the Atlantic Ocean, but that’s not all it has to offer! Daytona Beach is home to many fun and active 55+ communities.
Located in Panama City Beach, Watersound is near beautiful Gulf of Mexico beaches and offers plenty of recreational and cultural activities along Florida’s Emerald Coast.
Once you’ve decided which Florida city to move to, if you’re still working it’s time for the next step, finding a job!
If you are not already moving for a new job and aren’t planning on retiring soon, you will want to start job hunting before your move. Florida is filled with growing cities with many fantastic job opportunities.
Some popular industries to work for in Florida are:
- International Trade
- Aviation & aerospace
Finding a job before you move can help reduce moving stress so start looking now!
If you have children, one important factor when considering a move is the city’s school districts. There are tons of great options for education in Florida from grade schools to colleges and universities.
First, determine if you want to send your children to private, public, or charter schools. Then, you can search the schools in the area you are considering and compare school ratings.
No amount of pictures makes up for seeing your potential new home in person. Get a feel for the home designs, the community amenities, and the neighborhood so you know what your future day-to-day life may look like.
Here are a few of the steps to becoming an official resident of Florida.
- Purchase homeowners insurance
- Set up your utilities, internet and phone in your name at the new address
- Change your car insurance to your new address
- Go to the DMV to get your Florida driver’s license.
- Enroll your children in a school – this is where your research will come in handy!
While you are at the DMV updating your drivers license you can also update your voter registration and register your vehicle for a Florida license plate.
When you go to the DMV you will need:
- Form of ID: Passport, birth certificate, Social Security card
- Proof of address: utility bills
- Proof of auto insurance
Double check you have everything before going so you don’t waste time in line and then have to return later with the proper documents.
You can also skip the line by scheduling an appointment ahead of time at the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles website.
We highly recommend creating a checklist before you move that includes everything you will need!
Write down everything before you move out of your old home, including things you will need during the move. You should also consider things you will need to do once you finish your move. This way you won’t forget any small details during all the excitement.
Struggling to find the perfect home in Florida? We can help!
Discover your next home in Florida with Minto Communities! We offer a wide array of beautifully built communities throughout Florida, from multi-generational family communities to active adult 55+ communities.
In Naples, we offer The Isles of Collier Preserve where you will find luxury homes featuring coastal designs in a beautiful natural setting with amazing resort-style amenities.
Our Westlake community is located in the heart of Palm Beach County with a lively calendar of community events and resort-style amenities for the whole family.
We also offer two Latitude Margaritaville 55+ communities in Florida, located in Daytona Beach and in Watersound near Panama City Beach.